Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review: Underworld by Meg Cabot

Underworld (Abandon Trilogy, #2)
Underworld

Meg Cabot

318 Pages

Published May 8th 2012 by Point

Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn't dead.
Not this time.
But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.
Her captor, John Hayden, claims it's for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they've come back as Furies, intent on vengeance... on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.
But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there... and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.
And unless Pierce is careful, this time there'll be no escape.
I love anything by Meg Cabot - I just do. Back when I was just starting high school I went on a real reading splurge, tearing through the Princess Diaries series, 1-800 Where R U series, and the Mediator Series. So imagine my delight when i later found out she had a new series in the making. I loved the first, Abandon, and the Underworld was a thrilling sequel.

I loved the character growth in both John and Pierce and the chemistry between these two is yummy. Though Pierce really doesn't want to be stuck in the underworld with pretty much the angel of death, she finds herself drawn to him, unable to resist. These two are both so complex, two characters I would love to meet in real life.

I loved all the twists and turns in the plot, I never quite knew what was going to go down next. Meg Cabot is a master storyteller, knowing how to keep a reader engaged from the very first page. This dark re-imagining of the Greek myth is amazing, and I can't wait to read the conclusion!


2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Meg Cabot, too, but I just cannot get into this series for some reason. I thought the first book was alright, but I only got about half-way through this one before putting it aside. I should definitely pick it back up now that the 3rd book is about to be released. I do want to know how the series ends. Maybe I'll be more in the mood Underworld this time. Great review! I hope you get your hands on the third book soon!
    -Natalie @Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read that forever!! It looks amazing(:
    ~Jackie

    ReplyDelete