Monday, May 6, 2013

Book Review: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Living Dead Girl

Elizabeth Scott

170 Pages

Published September 2nd 2008 by Simon Pulse

Once upon a time, I was a little girl who disappeared.

Once upon a time, my name was not Alice.


Once upon a time, I didn't know how lucky I was.




When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends -- her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.




Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.


This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.
I bought this book on a whim a few days ago for my Nook, thinking it would be.. interesting. IT was more than that. This sad tale of a haunted girl had me riveted from the explosive first pages, all the way through to the end.

Characters
Our main character is Alice, who didn't used to be Alice  Ray, her kidnapper has named her that when she was ten years old. I truly felt for Alice and all she had to go through.. so so many terrible things happened to her. She was afraid and beaten down, but strong enough to carry on. She did want to die many times, but when she saw an escape route she took it and rode it out all the way through. 

Plot
The plot and pacing of this book had me riveted, reading this book in a single sitting. Through combination of suspense and gripping terror, as well as short chapters and breakneck speed, this book is one you have to put down at times even though you don't want to. The content of this book is pretty strong and at some points graphic, I felt my stomach turning in disgust. How could a man do the things he did to Alice, and why?

Writing Style 
Elizabeth Scott haunted me with her words but made me keep on reading. She gave me awareness, made me realize how evil some people can be, even in small towns like the one I live in. It almost makes me sick saying I enjoyed a book about such harsh topics, but with a writing style like the one found in this book it's hard not to. 

1 comment:

  1. I tried to listen to the audio book version of this novel and just couldn't do it. Something about actually "hearing Alice" was just way too much. I do want to finish reading it sometime. I agree the writing was really good, but I just had a hard time stomaching it. And I watch the ID channel all the time, so you'd think I'd be used to this kind of stuff. Great review!
    -Natalie @Natflix&Books

    ReplyDelete