Monday, October 7, 2013

Book Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet

Marissa Meyer

454 Pages

Published February 5th, 2013

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.
Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
Some series stand above the rest, like a lighthouse shining above the sea. The Lunar Chronicles is one such series, gripping me to my core, leaving me anxious for the next installment. Already I am itching to get my hands on both Cress and Winter, the last two in this stunning quartet. Though I'm excited for them, already I know I'll feel sad when the series comes to an end.

Scarlet was the second book in this gripping series, and it didn't suffer from second book syndrome like man others do. Scarlet was just as gripping, if not more so, than Cinder. We further explore Cinder, our part cyborg and part lunar main character, as well as adding two very interesting new characters: Wolf and Scarlet. These two were a hoot and I can't wait to read more about them!

Cinder continues to be awesome in this second story, becoming a bad-ass escaped fugitive on the run. I love her even more than I did after Scarlet. Really, she is one of my most favorite characters of all time, maybe due to how unique she is. Speaking of uniqueness - how about that wolf? He was dark and mysterious, but seemed to have a kind heart. From the beginning it was obvious he was masking a secret of some sort, though I couldn't figure out what until it was revealed. For awhile I wasn't sure if I could trust him or not, but after some contemplation I think he's a good guy underneath the darkness that he's been forced to endure.

Scarlet was pure awesomesauce. She has bright red hair and a fiery temper to match it. She was fearless, tough and loyal. She shows no hesitation when it comes to standing up for what she believes in, and she will go to great lengths to protect those she loves, particularly her grandmother who has been taken hostage. I felt her anger, how it coursed through her veins. I felt her sadness and despair, her feelings of hopelessness as she was led on a wild goose chase, just trying to find out who kidnapped her grandma and why. Just like Cinder, she is a true favorite of mine and I'm looking forward to plenty more from her.

I really love how Meyer's writing grips me from the first sentence. Everything flows smoothly, leaving my fingers with paper cuts because I was turning the pages too fast. Scarlet was a fantastic read with highly defined characters, a fast-paced, action filled plot and a world full of mysteries and dangers. Come on February, I need Cress on my shelves!!


No comments:

Post a Comment